HISTORY OF PRACTICE

Samuel S. Blankstein, M.D

Emeritus, founded Eye Physician Associates, S.C., when he began his ophthalmology practice in downtown Milwaukee in 1938. Dr. Blankstein attended UW Madison, where he received both a B.A. and an M.A., and then attended medical school at the University of Chicago. He completed both his internship and residency in Chicago. One of the first ophthalmologists in Milwaukee, Dr. Blankstein began private practice here with Dr. Meyer Fox, an ENT specialist. The office was located on 6th and Wisconsin Avenue, and was later moved to East Wisconsin Avenue, before moving to the Bockl Building as its first tenant in 1955. Dr. Blankstein specialized in pediatric ophthalmology and achieved national recognition in the subspecialty. He was Chief of Ophthalmology at Children's Hospital and Mount Sinai, and served as a Clinical Professor at the Medical College of Wisconsin. Dr. Blankstein retired in 1993 and passed away in 1995.

Herbert Giller, M.D

Emeritus, joined Dr. Blankstein in 1954. He also attended UW Madison, receiving both B.S. and M.D. degrees. After internships in Washington, D.C. and Madison, he attended Harvard for a one-year course in ophthalmology, and completed his residency at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston. Dr. Giller spent two years in the Army in Japan before joining Dr. Blankstein in Milwaukee. He specialized in the care of the retina. Dr. Giller has been Chief of Ophthalmology at Children's Hospital, Deaconess, Good Samaritan, and Mount Sinai Hospitals. He is past president of the Milwaukee Ophthalmological Society and past Chairman of the State Medical Society Section of Ophthalmology. Dr. Giller retired from active practice in 1997.

Dr. Paul H. Goldstein

Emeritus, joined Drs. Blankstein and Giller in 1965. He received his  Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Illinois and completed his internship and residency in ophthalmology in Chicago. He attended Harvard University and took a one year course in ophthalmology prior to his residency. Dr. Goldstein has received specialized training in the treatment of cataracts, glaucoma, pediatric ophthalmology and laser surgery. He is the former Chief of Ophthalmology at Sinai-Samaritan Medical Center and also the former Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at Childrens Hospital of Milwaukee. Dr. Goldstein retired from active practice August of 2011.

Dr. Richard E. Lernor

Emeritus, joined Drs. Blankstein, Giller and Goldstein in 1970. Received his Doctor of Medicine degree from Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. He served an internship at Michael Reese Hospital in Chicago and completed his ophthalmology residency at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis. He trained in corneal transplant surgery with Dr. Max Fine in San Francisco. Dr. Lernor has also received specialized training in the treatment of cataracts and glaucoma, diabetic eye care and laser surgery. He is the former Chief of Ophthalmology at Mount Sinai Medical Center and St. Michael Hospital. Dr. Lernor retired from active practice August of 2010.